Thursday, March 5, 2020

How to Make Beaded Pins

First I had to go get some pins and beads. Yes, I already had a few 2" pins but I needed more. And I already had some pretty beads but... I needed to look at some new pretty beads.






What I found was pins with no coil on the bend so I got some of those. And I wanted some gold pins but all I could find was black and silver. There's always alcohol inks. I also found some all wire decorative pins but I figured out a better way to get pins on those by bending wire and making your own if you are good at that.






Found the prettiest beads at Walmart and they were reasonably priced too. So I got a lot of them. Some are for the dangle on the book spine and some for pins.





There are two ways to get beads on the back side of regular pins with a coil. One way is to take a pair of pliers and straighten out the pin, add beads and then try to bend it all back the way it was so it will close right. That's the hard way.

The easiest way is to pull of the crimped head with pliers, straighten out the wire and put beads on it. Then bend the end a little and put the closure back on with a dab of super glue. Crimp the inside of the curve with pliers to hold it snug and you're done. That's the easy way to do it.

You can also buy no coil pins, straighten them out, add beads and just bend them back into shape very easily but they don't look as mystifying as beads with a coil end for some reason.

Another way is to get some heavy gauge wire and bend your own all wire pin into shape, adding the beads onto the back as you go but that takes a little skill to make it look right.

So - pick a way that's easy for you and make a bunch of beaded pins for your journals and other projects. Don't be afraid to experiment with fabric pieces, dangles and charms on them too. You can make some pretty stuff yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment