Friday, April 17, 2020

Dreaming of Summer

I've done skipped right over Spring! I ran into a few YouTube videos of string crochet. I discovered that I absolutely love this work, but I prefer diagrams or written instructions over videos. Everybody is a YouTube star these days so.... anyway - I had to make this little mermaid! She's pretty big. Too big for a border on the stuff I work on but she does fill a page. Just one finished mermaid done in number 10 cotton string is 5" by 7" so she will fit into my books. She's a beautiful decoration!





Actually, if you are an advanced crocheter, you don't really have to anchor her at all. You can modify the pattern to leave off the rock and the base and just make her free standing so you can position her vertically for the front of a book. Hmmm.... that's an idea. How would you love to open up a handmade book with crochet trimmed pages and find her in it? I can think of a few different ways to use her besides trim work, can't you?

I really like the motifs you can make with string. They are a little too big for a border I think but they are so cute I can't resist making a few. I crocheted the blue base onto a chain made into card stock so I can remove it from the paper if I want to attach it to fabric later.

I love the work that goes on with the YouTube channel by "lace star" named Puntillas Estrella". So go look for her channel. Even if you don't speak Spanish you can follow along. She does a lot of colorful and exciting shapes into her border work and you can follow along by starting and stopping the video as needed.

I'm also still using patterns from books and I've discovered more trims and border patterns from out of print Japanese books (from 2003) whose last printing was in Chinese. It really doesn't matter what language they are written in as long as they have diagrams you can read. Crochet is pretty universal like that.

The main difference in crochet is between the instructions printed in the US and the ones printed in the UK. The UK uses different terminology for the same stitches.







No comments:

Post a Comment